Monday, January 27, 2014

I chose a donor!

The Process of choosing a donor was overwhelming in a whole different way... I mean, I've done internet dating and can scroll through hundreds of people without ever clicking on a profile - and that's just for going out on a date!!  How on earth was I going to choose a father for my child and what was my criteria going to be???

Sperm banks are all so different.  Some give you hardly any information and no photos whilst others are full of information and give you the option of viewing 'lifetime photo's'...  I went for the latter.  

The other thing to consider is whether to chose a donor who wished to remain anonymous forever or one who is willing to be known.  This means that the child will be granted a meeting with the donor when they reach 18 years of age.   I always knew I wanted a donor who was willing to be known and then this show came on MTV which made me even more convinced:  Generation Cryo  It follows a 17 year old girl who is trying to find her anonymous sperm donor.  During the show she meets up with many of her 15 donor siblings and it was great for me to see how well adjusted these kids were... some were more comfortable than others about their conception but that's to be expected.  They were successful at finding their donor and he was interested in having contact with them.  It could have gone either way... I want my future teenager to not have to worry about that at least. 

Over the course of a couple of weeks I sat in front of my computer many times trying to summon the courage to choose a donor.  I was overwhelmed.  I called my good friend 'The Doula', to come and help me out.  She has the perfect character to help me with such a task... she knows how to get me to me trust my gut instinct.  

I paid my $300 to get full access for 3 months of all of the contenders.  It sounds like a lot but it actually ends up saving you $600 if you buy 6 'vials' at once - which I did.    

I knew I wanted a white male, at least 6ft tall with a good jawline to counteract my lack of one.  Obviously good family health within reason and not overly religious as I'm not going to be bringing my child up in any religion and I don't want to be disrespectful of their roots.  I guess smart but artsy would be a bonus.

I needed an IUI donor so I narrowed it down to just these.  After a couple of hours of no success (round faced, too geeky, no, no, no! etc) I accidentally clicked on Mr Handsome!  A perfect jawline, full lips, olive skin, smart, ambitious and kind.  He's a little introverted but that's fine with me... this guy reads like all the best parts of all of my exes and what's more he looks like guys I've dated!

I found the one and I didn't even have to talk to him!!!

The Doula and I ran some numbers on him because that's what we do... his numbers worked out fine... everything dissolved down to a 3 which is a magic number for me... I'm looking for signs where I can get them ok?

But wait... he only has ICI available... eeek!  I need IUI... I have to wait 2 days to find out if this is a problem.

I call my clinic and hurray!  They can wash the sperm there and what's more it's going to be about $60 cheaper a try for them to do it onsite.  

I call the sperm bank... on Saturday it said that he was available but on Monday it says to call.  Turns out Mr Handsome is popular with the ladies and is nearly sold out!  I take 6 of his remaining 7 vials... 7 is not my lucky number.  He doesn't have any reported pregnancies yet but that's because he's brand new... fingers crossed I'll be one of his first!

So 6 vials including shipping cost $3400.  I'm estimating that I'll spend about $1800 a month on trying as each month you are inseminated twice.  I have enough for 3 months and that, as you know is a magic number!

First try mid February... I'm taking my vitamins, trying to keep stress to a minimum and being extra kind to people to increase my good karma in the universe... 

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment