Monday, January 20, 2014

The Diving Board






I have been standing on this diving board for about 3 years now.  It was never a question of if I will jump but more so of how & when I will do it.  Only when I am on my diving board am I able to shut out the noise of others and truly hear my own voice.  I know that when I jump the landing may not be perfect, or even as planned but I am sure that I will descend safely and that the fear will be outshone by the reward that awaits me down there. 

I always knew I wanted to be a parent... as a teenager I watched a documentary on "The dying rooms of China" and from that day on would inform my Mother that I had plans to adopt a child and conceive a child the traditional way.   

I was never the Queen of relationships, never one to settle... preferred the single life to the struggle I witnessed among my friends and their significant others... then finally I met the guy worth stopping for... I shared my parenting desires with him and he seemed to be on the same page... fast forward 4 years and I finally had to concede that his fear of life would never render him able to parent... so there I stood... closer to 40 than to 30 with a big decision on my mind.... 

"I'm going to do it on my own."  

But how? And when? And is this weird?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment