Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I'm breaking up with you....

Yesterday I got a call from the clinic asking me when my vials were arriving for my upcoming retrieval.   When I informed them that they should already have a vial of my donor in house as I sent 2 over to them for the last treatment there was a nervous silence followed by an "I'll get back to you."

Turns out that their protocol is to thaw 2 vials of ICI no matter whether they need them both or not.  They put the sperm through 2 washings for IVF and this kills a lot of them.  I still find it hard to believe that with an average count of 23 million they'd need to thaw a second vial.  

The worst part of this all was that I wasn't informed that this had happened until  yesterday - day 4 of stims.  

My donor was out of all product except ART vials which they don't want at the clinic.  I also had had a feeling that it might be time to change donors but when the reality set in that I would actually have to select a new one I just wanted to throw up.  How on earth would I manage this in just 48 hours??!!

The clinic were apologetic for their oversight in not informing me I was out of vials.  They say that they will change their protocol for people using donor sperm and verbally inform them of their 2 vial protocol up front. 

I called the Sperm bank and explained my dilemma and they were amazing.  They gave me 3 days free full access so that I could make a selection.

With sweaty palms and a slight sense of mourning I said goodbye to my original donor.  It was the easiest break up I've ever had... :)  

3 hours later, after having put 8 potential matches in my favorite folder I found him!  I knew it the minute I read that he had a family already and then saw his picture.  I even listened to his entire interview (something I'd never been interested to do before.) I like him so much more than my original choice even.  

So what started off as a very stressful day ended up happily with my new and hopefully improved potential donor daddy winging his way to my clinic.  

If only finding a boyfriend was this easy!!    

2 comments:

  1. I've heard multiple women say that after switching donors they finally were able to get pregnant. I have my fingers crossed for you that he will be "the one" for you!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a lot to go through in such a short period. I'm glad you were able to find a donor you like so much more...hopefully this is the beginning of success for you!

    ReplyDelete